Beer Info FAQ

Is IPA toxic?

Is IPA toxic?

Isopropyl alcohol is readily absorbed through the skin, so spilling large amounts of IPA on the skin may cause accidental poisoning. Small amounts of IPA on the skin is generally not dangerous, but repeated skin exposure can cause itching, redness, rash, drying, and cracking. Prolonged skin contact may cause corrosion.

Is isopropyl alcohol a toxic alcohol?

Isopropyl alcohol, while techically is not a toxic alcohol, can cause morbidity and mortality and is more commonly ingested than the toxic alcohols.

What is IPA alcohol used for?

Isopropyl alcohol is mixed with water for use as a rubbing-alcohol antiseptic. It is also used in aftershave lotions, hand lotions, and other cosmetics. In industry it is used as an inexpensive solvent for cosmetics, drugs, shellacs, and gums, as well as for denaturing ethanol (ethyl alcohol).