Something so acidic can make copper leach into food. Copper naturally occurs in the environment, and some exposure can be good for your health. But long-term exposure can cause nausea, dizziness, headaches, diarrhea, and irritation to your mouth, nose, and eyes. Not all copper mugs are potentially poisonous.
Copper is a heavy metal and there's a danger of ingesting too much. Lynch has treated people who attempted suicide by drinking copper, though it's rare. Too much copper causes people to experience nausea, diarrhea, and stomach bleeding. Prolonged exposure could cause neurological problems.